Tuesday, September 25, 2007

What’s In a Name?

As a kid my father would always volunteer us kids to for service to others. “My son would be gad to do that” he would say. How did he know what I was glad of and what I wasn’t. My dad is a good man, trusted and respected in the small community where I grew up. He was and is the epitome of service.

When someone was moving in or out of town, there was my dad and the Collett brothers to help. Barn raisings was never done with out the Collett’s in the lead. Personal social agendas were put on hold just to help the lady down the street paint her house or mow her lawn.

I learned much from him, and now that I am a father, it my turn. What my father taught me about service is expected to be passed on to my children. It’s my turn now to say, “My sons will be glad to help,” for service is nothing other than love. Christ himself said, “Love thy neighbor as thy self.” If we don’t love them who will?

Soon my kids will say, “How does my dad know I will be glad to help?” This is a legacy that should be passed on from generation to generation. What more could my father ask of me than to teach my kids to serve as he taught us?
Service has a way of repaying itself 100 fold. As a most respected member in his community respect are reflected on my kids. They can go any where in town and get what they need or want – thy just say “I’m a Collett, - my grandpa is Bob.”

What’s in a name? What do you think of when I say George Washington? Bill Clinton? George Bush? Jeffery Dormer? Jack the Riper? The Name of Bob Collett is spoken with respect. This I believe that your name is your legacy.

No comments: